The Legend of the Three Companions is a biography of Saint Francis of Assisi written in 1246 and narrated by three of his first companions. In the biography, friars Leo, Angelo, and Rufino talk about St. Francis opening the missal on the altar of the Church of San Nicolò to find out what the Lord wanted him to do. St. Francis found these three passages:
This missal still exists, and is preserved in the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland. On December 7, Minister General Friar Carlos Trovarelli viewed the missal while on visit to the US.
(This is an excerpt from an article by Friar Jakub Czajka posted on the Order’s website. To read the entire article: https://www.ofmconv.net/en/un-messale-che-ricorda-il-tempo-di-san-francesco/)